Tourism in the Wildschönau started shortly after the war in 1947. In 1947 Ing. Sepp Hochmuth, a pioneer of the first order, built the first chair lift in the Tyrol in Niederau taking tourists up the 1496m high Markbachjoch. The concept was most enterprising in all respects. Sepp Hochmuth even found use for parts from discarded Wehrmacht tanks. His pioneering work proved to be a success.
Winter tourism on the Schatzberg started in 1967. The then managing director Herbert Stadler and his men built the chair lift to the Hohlrieder Alm.
The 70-year Wildschönauer Bergbahnen jubilee went hand-in-hand with the company’s biggest investment since its existence. Costs for the project commissioned by the two managing directors Arnd Krogmann and Ludwig Schäffer amounted to approx. 18 mio.
With over 4000m length, the gondola lift up the Schatzberg is one of Austria’s longest monocable ropeways. The new lift has a transportation capacity of 2600 persons per hour. The improved quality standards set positive conditions for the coming years and for future tourism development in general.
Local priest Paul Rauchenschwandtner blessed the new lift and advisory board chairman Dr. Kurt Braito delivered a festive speech. Many, including delegations from nearly all the lift companies in the Tiroler Unterland came from near and far to take part in the celebrations. Overall, it was a great celebration.
The Bundesmusikkapelle Auffach accompanied the event with music.
Mayor Hannes Eder complimented and thanked all involved. The local government representative LA Dr. Bettina Ellinger congratulated everyone for their efforts and the Bundesministerium für Verkehr (Austrian Ministry for Transport) were full of praise for the Schatzbergbahn men’s input and hard work.
A round of applause went to Toni Silberberger and Lilly Staudigl for their documentary about the building of the lift.